'Summerhill' is a book about a school n yet one find the answer of above question in it.
It is batter that I quote A.S.Neill rather then commenting on his work.
- Fashion typifies the crowd's dislike of freedom.
- As individuals,we calmly accept crowd rulings that are stupid.
- If a man is shocked by anything, it is by the thing that he is most interested in.
- the business of being sincere in life and to life is a vital one....Yet we educate our children in such a way that they dare not to be sincere....The greatest discovery we made at Summerhill is that a child is born sincere.
- The aim of life is happiness. The evil of life is all that limits or destroy happiness.
- Self-regulation implies a belief in the goodness of human nature; a belief that there is noe, and never was, original sin.
- Any idea, old or new, is dangerous, if not combined with common sense.
- The man, who holds his family in bondage. is, and must be, a slave himself- foe in a prision a jailor also is confined.
- But the question arises : Is it possible to approve of children if you do not approve of yourself? If you are not aware of yourself, you cannot approve of yourself.
- The one commandment that every parent and teacher MUST obey is this : Thou shall be on the child's side.
- ...but heads never cause neurosis; only hearts do.
# order this book at : Pitara-Gujarat (02633-240409),its also available in hindi(175rs)