2.8.12

Awaiting the beauty

While switching to Gujarati medium, Eva has problem in recognizing numbers in Gujarati language.


She could identify ૩૭ as 37 but could not spell or speak it as સાડત્રીસ.

I thought of few activities to support her to overcome this difficulty.

We planned a chart and prepared paper strips, but, I changed my mind and we didn’t write anything on them.

After spending one and a half month together, I have realized her capacity of learning, and it reminded me not to give her this support.

Support is helpful to speed up the learning process sometimes and sometimes it is a much needed part of the learning process.

But, this time, I knew, it is not needed.

When we sit at home for her Math homework, I continue speaking English numbers because I saw that it was comfortable for her.

After 2-3 weeks, she started speaking numbers like this : be hajar charso sixty eight . (બે હજાર ચાર સો sixty eight)

She new એક (1) to દસ (10) due to family background but never used it in her Math tasks. She started applying it now.

Only last week, she shared a lovely story of her : " you know, one boy in my class has bavvan (52) roll number and the other has ogan pachaas (49) ! I have only Eighty three. How good it was if I had a number like them ! Bavvan, Ogan pachchaas! "

Those numbers, awkward according to teachers and parents, were a thing of praise and wonder for her.

Then, time came for tables-11 to 20.

She asked me : What we call 14 ? ‘chaud ‘ , I replied.

Then, she spoke the table of 14 like this : chaud ekza chaud, chaud chokza fifty six, chaud dasza eksochalis !

She is learning on her own, from her Gujarati medium environment.

We started speaking the tables like this : she would speak in English and I would repeat it in Gujarati.

Just after two days, she started, on her own, like this : I would speak a line of the table in Gujarati, she would not repeat it, she would speak the next line in English.

In this whole incident, I have not guided her for a single time. She switched over on her own.

The beauty of Eng and Gujarati number is yet to explore, I am awaiting that moment.

No comments: