15.6.13

challenging situation

April 2012 : Eva saw a camouflage and she expressed fear. It would be untrue if I say that I do not fear it, but I can handle my fear of it.  For Eva, I started with curious question with all sort of exclamation tone in my voice : how red is its throat! And how different is its eyes ! n its tail, n how well it balances with legs! It took her just three efforts from my side and for the fourth time she was running behind it with camera and it seems that the camou was expressing shy to camera!
She started weaving stories about it  :look, it is my friend. So friendly it is to me that whatever I say to it, it only moves its head in ‘yes’.
One night, around 10:30p.m.,   Eva saw a house lizard on the ceiling and she wanted to see its tongue. Prior to this we had a talk about how these creatures take food. So , Eva followed the house lizard, requesting it to show its tongue : aren’t you my friend ? just once please. Open up your mouth and show me your tongue.
At other places also as soon she saw a house lizard, she would look at me and I have to understand what she desired.  People around us would get confused at our nonverbal communication and what should i say to them, that we are wanting your house lizard to show its tongue ?
After monsoon, we heard that two snakes have been spotted around our locality and so the residents should remain alert. We were returning from my work out of the town and it was about 9:30p.m. We have to walk for 200meters crossing puddles and weed. I was chatting to her so child like fear may not cover her up. We had a torch. Just then we heard someone asking to stop where we are. The man said that there is a snake and we should stop there. So we stopped at once. It took us few seconds to spot the yellow-green snake which is at the other side of the road. I was standing there thinking of precautions and also how long we may need to stand there. Just then Eva said, “its at the other side, we can walk forward from our side. We will walk without making sound. “  and we crossed the road with the snake at 3-4 feet distance to us.
Few days later, she helped her granny to cross the same road in same manner in full daylight, there was a snake at the other side of the road.
Winter approached and we found that that camou is not around. Eva inquired but I do not have any explanation except it may have go to sleep like frogs.
April 2013: camouflaged has returned and Eva is happy. This fella does not look alike the last year visitor.
Today my mom killed one house lizard and Eva became upset with that. “ How will its mother would feel?  Ok, if we need to kill it, use pesticides but do not kill with broom, it may be painful to it. “

It was a testing time for me to explain her why we need to kill certain insects or certain animals in certain situation. Finally, she found situational demand convincing yet with an unhappy expression. “ok. Next time do not kill the lizard before my eyes.”

No comments: